Friday, May 20, 2011

Magic People

What I have experienced down in Orlando, in Disney World, has been dreamlike. Not simply an, "oh this is sooo great" kind of deal, but an experience that I never thought could have happened and one that can never be repeated.

I may need to explain myself further. I have grown up in the mindset that I will pretty get to know the people around where I live, Western Pennsylvania, and not much more than that. True, there may be a foreign exchange student and a few friends from nearby states in the mix, but that's about it. At Disney, the whole world came together in one place. I oh so casually worked and hung out with people from all backgrounds, locales, ethnicities, and personalities like it was the norm. I tested out my Spanish speaking skills with one of the sweetest people around, my lifeguard pal Gabby from Veracruz, Mexico. I learned all sorts of lingo from my mates from Australia and New Zealand including "Bob's your uncle", "visiting my Auntie Loo", and how to keep things cool in a "chilly bin." I found that I am clueless when it comes to any words spoken in Portuguese. When I come across a lass with a Southern accent (American that is)... that's pretty much it for me. And putting on a British accent for kicks is not only acceptable, but people will take it that you are in fact a "bloody Pome."

People, regardless of their differences, all fall into certain categories as well. There are the sincere, the genuine, the sweet, and the ones you know can count on. On the other end, there are also the trashy, the shady, and tragically vain individuals who pay no mind to people as being actual human beings, who are simply out for their own personal satisfaction. From getting to know people along the way, I feel that the genuine friends I have gotten to know are ones I will keep in touch with for life.



As much as I have learned from others, I have learned just as much about myself along the way. I can put any sort of false front up to impress somebody, but unless I am true to my self, I won't start a true friendship. If someone doesn't appreciate the person you truly are, then forget it! There are way too many people that will befriend you for who you really are to get hung up on those that don't.



Today, I have said many a goodbye to people I will hopefully meet down this road called life, every one of them coming from a different place with their own amazing personality to boot. I will miss my roommates, my workmates, and everyone else I can now call a friend that I have been blessed to meet while on my program at Disney. For every one of you reading this, I sincerely do hope to see you all
down the road. Keep in touch and keep the magic going, wherever you may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment