Thursday, February 10, 2011

Give me that sunshine

I'm now in my third week working at Disney World and it has been an amazing experience thus far. The first two weeks of work consisted of a redonkulous amount of orientation/training and sitting in front of computer doing e-learning... so glad that's over. Now I'm doing my rotations at two deluxe resorts at Disney, the Grand Floridian (see previous post) and the Polynesian Resort. The shifts have been a bit slow so far, as the weather is a bit chilly and overcast/rainy, but that will pick up in the coming weeks (Though I did get to watch Jon Stewart having a good time at the pool while I was on duty).



There is so much more to the experience here than work too. Although I am putting in full time hours, I have been to most of the parks in Disney, some cool spots around Orlando, and I'm checking the area today for some nice trails to run to get out of the gym and outside. I've got to say that I'm not sure if I'll have a favorite park out of the Disney parks (Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios) since they all have their own cool nuances. Downtown Disney, not actually a "park", is a spot I'll be hitting up for some nighttime fun throughout my time down here. The main attraction down there is the restaurant/bar/club, The House of Blues, which hosts concerts occasionally with upcoming shows from Flogging Molly, Yellowcard, and My Chemical Romance. Also, I hit up the club, Roxy, the other night with some of my roomates and a handful of girls from New Zealand and Australia. That was a new atmosphere for me there with a solid dance floor and DJ throwing down some good beat music. I'll make a trip there every now and then, but I dropped a bit of cash there that night so I need to watch myself.

The apartment living situation for us here is so diverse that it makes college seem, well, not diverse. The apartment complexes for the College Program kids here are pretty much an interactive map of the world. I hang out with kids from all around the country (all my roomates are from different states) and the globe. I used to think that American accents made people crazy different, but talking with Brazilians, Australians, New Zealanders, Brits, and others really opens the mind. I'll be bringing some crazy words and phrases back to town with me after the program for sure.



Enough sitting behind the computer, I'm heading out.

1 comment: