Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giddy Up



So I got the official letter of acceptance to Oklahoma State University. This is really big news. Not only is it the first school to accept me, it is also the one school where I am guaranteed funding. For those of you unfamiliar with graduate school funding, it can amount to several forms of assistance:

1. Tuition waiver: tuition is covered up to a set credit load
2. Stipend: usually a monthly allotment of money (basically a "paycheck")
3. Other: most likely health insurance coverage

With the Oklahoma State deal, I am guaranteed at least a tuition waiver up to 9 credits for each of the fall/spring semesters and up to 6 credits for the summer. Hopefully I can match up with a well-funded professor who can send some more funds my way. If I can manage that, I will be able to earn a Master's degree without increasing the debt I have accrued along the way.

I'm still awaiting word from other schools, Oregon State in particular, but I am confident that Oklahoma State has the program and atmosphere necessary for me to succeed in graduate school and as a young professional. More news to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment